Thursday, July 14, 2011

"A little girl can be sweeter (and badder) oftener than anyone else in the world......

.....She can jitter around and stomp, and make funny noises that frazzle your nerves, yet just when you open your mouth she stands there demure with that special look in her eyes. A girl is innocence playing in the mud. Beauty standing on its head, and Motherhood dragging a doll by the foot." --Allan Back--
It’s been awhile since I’ve done one of these so here it is! Update on the wonderful Evelyn :) She is now 21 ½ months old, no clue how tall or how much she weighs although seems to be getting bigger but doesn’t seem to be much heavier according to Grammy’s scale…oh well. She’s healthy and that’s all that matters! I thought I would talk more about her little quirk’s and such this go around though.

First of all, this girl is still as talkative as ever…I saw that every time but it’s true! She’s such a good talker and pretty good at getting across what she wants (which is SO much better than having a crying baby that you don’t know what they want!) and boy does she know what she wants! Still as determined/stubborn/smart as ever too…dangerous combination right there :) When that girl gets something in her head that she wants she just does not let it go! Very decisive I guess which is much better than either Mark or I! We’re so indecisive about things…guess Evelyn is the COMPLETE opposite :)

Anyway, she knows so many words now and is getting better at little phrases and sentences. Awhile back she came up to me and asked, “What are you doing mommy?”, and I was like…whoa, what? She’s got such a good grasp of what things mean/when/how to use them. I know I’m probably gushing/bragging too much (or will soon enough in this post ;) but it’s my kid, I’m a proud Momma and I really am proud of her talking skills! :) So sorry if you get sick of it but this is a post all about Evelyn and I’m not gonna spend the whole time brag about her hissy fits right? :)

Back to Evelyn….so she’s got that new phrase down as well as a few more. Her newest is this…so when she wants something and doesn’t say please right away, I usually say, “what do you say?”, trying to get her to say please. But lately instead of saying please she says, “what do you say?” Oh boy….already talking back! :) Although she really isn’t talking back (or her tone doesn’t seem like she is….maybe she is, maybe she isn’t…who knows) but I think it’s pretty funny. ..for now anyway…

She’s also learning to ask why….why or why is she doing this is what I’m asking! :) I thought that was a later stage but I guess I was wrong or she’s doing it early. Don’t know where she picked it up either but I know I’m not excited about it! My favorite new thing she says is after I sneeze, she asks if I’m ok…”ok, mommy?” It’s pretty adorable and so sweet! I always ask her after she’s fallen or something if she’s ok so I guess that’s where she picked that one up.

Lately we’ve been working on our colors and she’s gotten pretty good at saying most of the colors…repeating them anyway. She hasn’t quite gotten down which is which. She seems to know blue pretty well but she also says blue for anything when you ask for what color something is. But like today, we got a balloon at Red Robin and I told her it was pink and after that she knew it was pink and didn’t forget. So we’re progressing there! :) She absolutely loves to color/draw/paint so I thought this was a good time as any to start on colors. I absolutely love this girl’s voice though…she has the cutest little voice and on certain words it’s just adorable ;) My favorites right now are when she says “color”, “diaper”, and “swiper” (as in Swiper the Fox from Dora…still loves that show although I’d love to see it go up in flames…I mean…Dora’s awesome! Hahaha….anyway, she says “Ah, man” every time she sees Swiper which is also very adorable.)

Along with talking she’s really been loving to make animal noises. She loves animals and right now her favorite seems to be a toss up between cows and elephants (courtesy of “Pooh’s Heffalump movie” which she loves). She loves looking for cows while we’re out driving (one of the few ways I can distract her sometimes…) and loves finding elephants around places. She does the sound pretty good too :) Also in her repertoire is a horse (although she says yee-haw or giddy up type stuff…courtesy of “Toy Story”), monkeys, dogs, and whales (another fav, courtesy of “Finding Nemo”….can you tell she likes movies….that’s courtesy of her Momma and Daddy, at least she’s learning lots of words and stuff from them! :) She’s still very observant so she picks up a lot of words and phrases from the stuff she watches and remembers really well).

Let’s see…here’s a couple other funny things about Evelyn…she likes to point with her thumb…don’t know why but I noticed this when we’re doing a Look and Find book. She calls Mellisa’s three kids “guys”. She sees them playing outside a lot and stands at the window calling, “Guys! Guys!” She only calls them that though. She’s starting to sing even more now and is, of course, super adorable when she does. She’s even starting to sing noticeable songs (aka usually the Dora opening song…ugh…it’s cute to hear her sing, doo doo doo doot Dora though!) when they aren’t on. She loves to hide and will sometimes disappear and become quiet as a mouse until I find her…not a big problem here in our little shack but kinda scares me sometimes when we’re at Grammy’s…takes me a bit to find her sometimes! She seriously gets so quiet…sneaky little thing. She loves to jump and climb on anything she can and when she can’t jump off something she holds on to my hand (or not even holding onto anything) will jump in place. She love to crawl up in my bed in the morning and put her face as close as she can to mine and tell me to wake up…she thinks it’s hilarious. She’s got so much energy and spunk and is quite the littler character! She can be quite the handful because of that but she’s so cute and sweet at other times it makes you forget (for a second anyway… :) and I just love her to pieces! (Don’t quite understand that phrase really but oh well!)

So yeah! I think that’s all I have for now. I made a list last night so I wouldn’t forget everything I thought of and that’s all that was on there so I think I’m good! :) As of right now I don’t think I have a ton of pics of her…I really have been slacking on taking pics…I think I used up most of them on my last post but I’m sure I’ve got a few on my computer somewhere you haven’t’ seen! :) So enjoy and til next time!

Ok so I dug around for new pics and finally found a couple on my iPhone...the first one is from yesterday at Red Robin. We met my good friend Shauna (she got home from her mission last week, yay!!!) and while we were waiting Evelyn had a fun time entertaining herself with this balloon.

ANd the second one is from a couple hours ago....she's been refusing to go down for naps (I've had to take her on little drives where she's out in minutes but for some reason nothing will get her to go to sleep in the house...ugh...don't like this stage...). So I tried to get her to watch Pooh Bear (nice and calming right?) but no luck and then she started getting crabby and cranky and whiney and couldn't make up her mind about anything she wanted so I just sat down at my desk and started working on my current project and ignored her so she threw this little fit and finally fell asleep like this....

Don't worry, she didn't stay like this long...I put her in her bed :) but what a great example of her lovely stubbornness!!! :)


1 comment:

Mom Erwin said...

Give our sweet little great grand-daughter a hug from us. She gets cuter all the time. (A fair "warning" - the "terrible twos" are ahead - great fun but full of stubborn moments too.)