Wednesday, April 18, 2012

"Creativity is a drug I cannot live without." - Cecil B. DeMille

Here is my finished office/craft area! I'm so super happy it's done/excited about it! I had sooo many boxes of stuff that were just sitting there cuz I didn't have this room ready to put it all away so I was glad to get it all done and put away and glad to have a craft area, just for my crafts! It's such a pain having to bring everything out just to do one little project so this is gonna be such a nice change, just grab what I need to when I need it and I'm good to go! I love having it all organized nicely and with easy access. It's great! And this way I don't have to clutter up the kitchen table for days while I work on a project, I have this nice little area just for me :) Well, Mark uses the computer too but most of all it's for me :) 





Anyway, we built the desk last weekend. Mark had an early day Friday and Monday off completely for Easter weekend so we got the supplies and got to work! It was actually a pretty easy project, only had one or two minor issues that we worked around and wa-la! My lovely new craft desk. 



The best part of making it ourselves was that I got to choose where I wanted the shelves/height of each and make it the size I wanted. It fits great in our space yet still has a great surface area on top for projects.




So I was able to customize the shelves to fit my wonderful new fabric holder things. :) I've seen things online for you to wrap your fabric on so they are organized better but definitely did NOT want to spend the $ on them! SO I took some of the sturdiest boxes that we had (good thing we just moved! :) and had Mark cut them up into usable pieces, cut some strips of scrap paper, scored the middle, and used them to cover the raw edges of the cardboard/make them look cuter. The great thing about the cardboard too is that on the backside I just stick a pin in the fabric and stick it in the cardboard to keep it in place. Super great!


One of my fabric holders before I put fabric on 

The other side of the desk is my scrapbook side. I made the bottom shelf tall enough to fit my scrapbook paper and I got some nifty office bins from Target on sale to hold the loose ones, fit 12x12 paper perfectly! Love Target! Then my Cricut fits right on the top shelf, easy access to it, just pull it up when I need it and put it back when I don't.



Then the shelves in the front have stuff too...the right side has sewing notions/etc. and the left side has scrapbook embellishments/etc. Love it! :) Of course I couldn't fit everything on/in my desk (I still have quite a bit in our hall closet :), so I got a simple little shelf for the stuff I use a lot, labeled them to look a bit cuter/easier to find and here's that! :)


And now for one of my latest actual projects! I've been working on this before we made the desk and finished it after we were done. As you can see it's kind of a big project so it did take awhile but not too bad and it's finished now and I loooove it! I wanted some fun art to put on Evelyn's playroom wall and saw tons of stuff online that I liked so I took a little here and there and made this collage! Good thing the wall is big too cuz I liked a lot of things :) 



So as you can see it's very colorful and fun, which I wanted, but also something she can look at and learn/identify things. She's been interested in her letters lately and recognizes "T", "O", "A" 90% of the time and is getting "M" and "E" pretty good too. So I did letters, numbers, colors, cute animals, and a few quotes! I love the church type ones so I put two of those in there (green and yellow) and then found some fun Dr. Seuss ones that I liked (red, pink, and purple). Although the red quote was a bit long (Think left and think right and think low and think high.Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!) but it went with the purple one good so I went a little abstract with it. Mark think's it's a little confusing but it was partly his idea so oh well :)



A few closer up shots! I love the giraffe. So cute.



Monie wanted more of a tutorial one how I did these but I didn't take any pics during the process. If I do more I'll do those pics but for now I pretty much took the thin canvas sheets (I got packs of them at Michael's on sale), got some paint, got out my trusty Cricut and some contact paper (pretty much what I did for my family rules art work awhile back...), cut out the words/designed the layout in Cricut Design Studio, laid them out on the canvas and painted! I did have to do some touch ups afterwards but overall it worked pretty great!



And I LOVE the whale! Super cute.


And I couldn't leave a post without a pic of my little artist! The other day, while I was painting the above, she wanted to paint so I had previously found a link to sidewalk paint (pretty much just water and corn starch with a bit of food dye) and she loved it! Worked pretty good too and the dye didn't stain the sidewalk at all. So yeah! Good activity for the wee ones ;)


1 comment:

Mom Erwin said...

Your craft desk is great - what an efficient and creative use of space.