Tuesday, July 14, 2009

"Good cooks never lack friends."

Well since my life has drastically become less busy with Sierra gone (don't worry, that won't last too long...this next month is going to be slightly busy, mostly with weddings! Yay!), I'm going to do a little something different for my blog. So I love to cook and try new recipes and my all time FAVORITE website is allrecipes.com. It's so amazing! They have recipes for everything and ratings/reviews from people who've made it which help SO much! It's really a lifesaver and I recommend the site to anyone!

Anyway, I try out new recipes all the time, which is pretty fun. I get tired of having the same stuff all the time so I try to be different and change it up and why not try something new at the same time? SO the other night I tried out a chicken pot pie recipe along with a homemade crust and it was SO GOOD! I always read the reviews before I make something and I used some of the tips found there and it was just so yummy. I didn't take any pics so sorry about that, it wasn't fabulously pretty anyway but it tasted great and that's all that matters. So here's the recipe for anyone wanting to try something new!

Pie Crust

INGREDIENTS

* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 3/4 teaspoon salt
* 2/3 cup shortening
* 6 tablespoons cold water

DIRECTIONS

1. In a bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in the shortening until crumbly. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half so that one ball is slightly larger than the other. Roll out larger ball to fit a 9-in. or 10-in. pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry even with edge.
2. Pour desired filling into crust. Roll out second ball. Position over filling; cut slits in pastry. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of pie plate. Trim pastry to 1 in. beyond edge of pie plate. Fold top crust over bottom crust. Flute edges. Bake according to recipe directions.

Chicken Pot Pie

INGREDIENTS

* 1 recipe pastry for a 9 inch double crust pie
* 1 carrot, chopped
* 1 head fresh broccoli, chopped
* 2 boneless chicken breast halves, cooked and chopped
* 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
* 2/3 cup milk
* 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
* 1/2 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
2. Steam carrots and broccoli in a covered pot for 3 minutes, until slightly tender but still firm.
3. In a large bowl, mix together carrots, broccoli, chicken, soup, milk, cheese, and salt. Spoon mixture into pastry-lined 9 inch pie pan and cover with top crust. Seal edges and cut steam vents in top.
4. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until golden brown.

That was the original recipe. In addition to it I added some celery (you can add pretty much whatever you want basically, I love recipes you can mess with!) and some additional seasonings according to the tips of the reviews- some pepper, garlic powder and Cavendar's...I think I put a little too much seasoning though cuz it was a wee bit too strong/salty but Mark liked it so meh...So yeah...I guess that's all for today!