Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Let the "Holy War" begin!

So I was walking to class the other day and happened to walk past one of the many statues on campus. For any visitors this week they might see something strange though... ALL the statues are completely covered in Saran wrap. Why, you might ask, would we do this??? Seems pretty strange don't you think? Well it is but we have good reason for it. This Saturday just so happens to be the final game of the BYU football season and it is against our biggest rival, the University of Utah. Every year we cover these statues to prevent any "vandalizing" or anything the Utes might want to do to them. I guess one year something must have happened and someone came up with the idea of covering them with Saran wrap...that's really going to stop them! :) haha...right.... anyway, it looks pretty funny to me. Since I've been here though I haven't heard of anything happening against either school but the Saran wrap is kind of tradition now I guess.
(This is a statue of a mother and father holding hands with their child, as if you couldn't tell for yourself! It's so apparent right? with all that Saran wrap? I wonder how much they spend in Saran wrap every year......hmm.... :)

I'm really kind of excited for the game except that I have to work during it and won't get to watch it. I didn't get to watch any of the games this year which kind sucks, last year I went to all the home ones and it was SO much fun! The game against Utah was especially awesome, well the last 4 minutes of the last quarter was anyway :) Well, BYU has won against Utah the past two years and the Utes are definitely not too happy about that fact. They're just going to have to deal with it cuz it's just going to happen again! :) haha...I don't know really, but I'm hoping for a Cougar win, of course! Both teams have done really good this year, Utah is 10-0 and BYU is 10-1. So it should be a very interesting and awesome game! It's also going to make an interesting Sunday dinner for Mark and I, we are going up to his aunt's house for a pre-Thanksgiving dinner and Amy and Calvin are both going to be there, who are both Utes fans. Luckily they aren't the extremely gung-ho fanatics so I think we'll be safe, but it'll be a good, lively discussion for whatever the outcome :)

Anyway, that's pretty much all I really have to say, I'm not the biggest football fan out there so I'm not really that into it, mainly just for the Cougs! Games are just so fun to go to! But yeah, that's all for now....except for a few pics of last year for your enjoyment :)
(this is a record for me though! Shortest blog! ha! :)

Cosmo is my hero!!!

This is the final score from the BYU vs. Utah game last year.

And this is all the BYU fans rushing the field after our victory! This won't happen this year when we win, Cougar fans will want to get out of there as quick as they can! :)

1 comment:

Am said...

Aaaaaah! I really wanted to watch this game too, but I'll also be working then... lameness! & they don't even have a tv at the store I'll be at... Anyway, I have a superstition that as long as I'm working the Cougs will win, as their only loss was when I wasn't working & last week when I was in UT they were behind at the half. I really want the Cougars to soundly defeat the Yewts, none of this close-call, last minute touchdown stuff. Exciting games, but I want dominance! Go Cougars!!!!!