Wednesday, December 10, 2008

"A professor is one who talks in someone else's sleep." -- W.H. Auden--

I do have to admit that I am guilty of falling asleep in class...some days you just can't help it, especially with some professors who have that "General Authority/Conference" type of voice, you all know what I mean...well not all of you but just imagine a nice deep, soothing voice giving a talk or lecturing and bam! You're out! That's what I mean :) Anyway, I thought that was a funny quote and I thought I'd talk about it. I also thought I'd talk about how this semester is almost DONE!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can you tell I'm excited??? If not, I am SO EXCITED! It's been a long, hard semester and I am SO glad it's almost done!

Stats was one of the hardest classes ever but I had an AMAZING teacher who made it understandable, even to me, who does not understand that stuff at ALL. I've had classes that taught portions of Stats and they just went right over my head. But this teacher was just so good and really funny and very entertaining, which I think helped a lot! Most Stats teachers are the dry, boring type that put you to sleep but not this one! I sure lucked out with picking him. It's so hard to pick teachers! I've done pretty good so far, I've only disliked maybe one or two of my teachers in college.

For example...being at BYU you are required to take a certain number of religion credits, which is awesome. The teachers they have in religion are some of the best around and the classes are AMAZING! I've taken quite a few already and three have been with the same professor because I like him so much. He is just so awesome. His name is Alonzo Gaskill and he grew up as a Greek Orthodox somewhere near Kansas City (yay Missouri). He studied religion at Notre Dame and is extremely knowledgeable about world religions. He is also EXTREMELY sarcastic and fairly blunt/honest. So most people either LOVE him or HATE him. I'm one who loves him. He just has so much knowledge of religion and I have learned a lot from his classes. He also says the most random things and it is SO funny sometimes. Sometimes the things he says might sound a little outrageous/shocking/scandalous to some naive Mormon ears (don't worry it's nothing bad, but some people might interpret things he says the wrong way and think he's scandalous) but that's just how he is. He often says things just to contradict people and to get to the point he's trying to make or spark a discussion too which is funny. Some people started a fan club group on Facebook and put up quotes that he says from his classes. It's highly entertaining. Here's a picture from the group...I really don't know what he is doing though...

Anyway, off of that tangent, I'm sure most of you didn't really care about all that, but he's just so awesome! I'm just sad that I have no more classes that I can take from him, I'm all out. :( but yeah...so tomorrow is the last day of classes and then I have finals! So this past week has been crazy with me getting all my last assignments done and starting to study for finals. On Monday I sat in my room and worked on a research paper for seriously at least 9 hours straight, it was disgusting and awful but totally what I deserve for procrastinating :) I do that so well, huh Annie? She likes to make fun of me for my amazing procrastinating abilities. Anywho, this next week is going to be pretty crazy too with finals and all but I don't think they'll be too bad...as long as I study! :) Don't worry, I'm going to study.

Well, I guess this whole thing was fairly full of rambling, sorry about that! I'm just at work and am SO BORED! I already worked from 10-3 today, then went to class, and now I'm working 6-10 and it sucks! I don't have a clue why they scheduled me like that, but I don't like it. I've already done all the things I brought with me so I guess all I have left to do is watch a movie! Such a hard day at work! :)

1 comment:

Annie-Savor This Moment said...

I only make fun of you because I understand you. ;D