Saturday, August 6, 2011

"One of the very nicest things about life is the way we must regularly stop whatever it is we are doing and devote our attention to eating."

Another two quoter day! This one wouldn't fit but I thought it was funny :)

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I've finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." --Dave Barry--

One fun thing about having Mark home was that I actually cooked! I cook while he’s gone but not as good of stuff, mainly cuz I’m lazy and hate cooking for one person! It’s just a pain and by the time dinner comes I just don’t to make the effort. So when Mark came I got my new cookbook out, Our Best Bites (which is AMAZING btw!!! It's by these two Mormon mommas who have a blog together and just came out with this book), and picked out some dinners and made ‘em!

One night I made this yummy rosemary pork tenderloin with rosemary potatoes and steamed broccoli. It was delicious! I love pork tenderloin and love trying new recipes on it. And I LOVE steamed broccoli (luckily Evelyn does too!) and this was delicious and so easy. Just a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and wa-la! Then with the potatoes I used fingerlings, which I’ve never used before, but they turned out great and super yummy. The sauce was a little more mustardy than I usually like for potatoes but they were good.



Another night I made lasagna from the same book. I asked Mark what he wanted me to make when he came home and he requested lasagna so he got it! This lasagna sauce was completely made from scratch and was pretty good! Mark loved it (and so did Grammy! I couldn't eat the rest of it after Mark left, there was half a pan left! so Grammy got leftovers from me :). I made some breadsticks (from the same book :) which turned out ok but I didn’t use the right ratio of seasoning on top so they woulda been better if I had. (I SWEAR I took a pic of the lasagna but can't find it...oh well :)

The third thing I made while Mark was here was pizza and pizza rolls. It used the same dough from the breadsticks (which is so simple and easy btw!) and this time it turned out amazing! I made their pizza sauce for it and also used it for the marinara to dip the pizza rolls in. The pizza was great but I think I liked the pizza rolls better. The garlic bread seasoning on top was SO YUMMY! They went pretty quick so next time I’m gonna have to make more of them. Unfortunately I forgot to take a pick of them so sorry about that. :)

I have made one other thing from this cookbook but not while Mark was here. It was their stuffed zucchini. Dad’s garden has started spouting out zucchini (big ones too which work perfect for this!) so I grabbed some and made this one night. It was SO DELICIOUS! I’m a big zucchini fan and absolutely loved this. I didn’t exactly follow the directions to the ‘t’ cuz I didn’t have everything but it was the basic gist of it and it was great. Dad and Mellisa tried some too and both like it as well.

So that’s all from that for now! I’m gonna try to be better at cooking for myself so I’ll try some more later and report! I think they have quite a few of the recipes in the book on their blog as well as great tips/tutorials/fun stuff so head on over and check them out! They are great!

No comments: