Monday, June 22, 2009

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." --Berthold Auerbach--

This week has a been a pretty busy one, which just means more posts for you all to enjoy! Today's post is about last Tuesday, which for the majority of the day wasn't too exciting. We went to work, made dinner, etc. Mark was studying for finals so Sierra and I went to a small concert that my friend April Meservy was going to be in. Some company or another has a concert series during the summer and every Tuesday night they feature four or so artists. The artists all sing a number of songs, taking turns so it's a mix of them.

This past Tuesday featured my friend April, Ryan Innes, Shaun Barrowes, and Truman (which two brothers who sing together). We had actually seen Truman at the opening act of the Kelly Clarkson concert and thought they were pretty good then, but they were SO good on Tuesday! All four of these artists (well five...) we're so amazing and SO talented! They all are amazing singers and writers as well. Shaun Barrowes was even on the past season of American Idol and made it to the top 48. He was particularly entertaining to watch because of the way he played the piano...he really pounded on that thing! Sierra and I both thought he was going to break the pedals because he was stomping on them so hard. Apparently he has a nickname of "Hammer Hands" because of the way he plays. I loved his music though, kind of the old jazzy type style...fantastic.

Ryan Innes was really great too. He had some really great songs that he wrote, some really cute and serious, and others cute and funny. He was a member of a group called Vocal Point, which is an acapella group at BYU. They are SO good! I love acapella. Truman is, as I said before, SO good! They're great songwriters too and so talented. They both play the guitar and one of the brothers plays the piano as well...he was great. I love piano players. Sierra got their cd and has been listening to it nonstop ever since.

April Meservy is the main reason we went to the concert, because I know her and LOVE her music. I showed it to Sierra one time I went home and she fell in love with her as well. She just has the most amazing voice, so relaxing and wonderful! She's also the sweetest, nicest person I have seriously EVER met. (I met her through her brother, who I was in the same single's ward with at BYU...his whole family is so talented musically! His dad was a member of the MoTab...so you know he's great. Her entire family is super nice too).

Anywho...it was so great to go and listen to her and the other artists. It was a nice small concert, which was great. So much more intimate and friendly you know? We talked to all the artists except Shaun afterwards and Sierra got pics with them all and had the Truman brothers sign her cd. Small concerts like that are the best! We did have to wait like 15 minutes to talk to April because she was so swamped by admirers, but Sierra really wanted to talk to her so we did. :) She was so sweet to Sierra, even offered to help her with anything music-wise because Sierra told her she had an interest in it. April's really involved in the music business...being an artist herself, of course she is...but she she produces too which I didn't know. Right now she is working on her own album though, which I'm so excited for! (Although I do have a personal copy of a cd she made for me of her music as part of my wedding present, I feel so special :).

Well I think that's all the flattery and praise I'm going to do for today. Here's some pics/video from the concert. Make sure to listen to April's! This is my all time favorite song that she's written and one of the first I've heard her perform. I first saw/met her at a little gathering of friends her brother had at the Glenwood in his apartment. She did a little concert for all of us. It's called "I like Mondays". Amazing!!!

(Shaun Barrowes)

(Ryan Innes)

(April Meservy)

(Truman)

(Me, April, and Sierra)

(Sierra and Ben Truman)

(April and Sierra...what beautiful girls!)

(Sierra and Ryan...such a nice guy!)

(well the video isn't working today...I'll have to try some other time... :(

No comments: